Address 1877: Central Works, Studley and Ragley Mills, Alcester
bullet points from Grace’s Guide to British Industrial History
- 1825 Company established by William Hall.
- 1848 John Morgan took over the firm.
- 1890 George Chambers Morgan joined the company.
- 1895 Incorporated as a limited company.
- 1914 Manufacturers of needles, pins and fish hooks of all kinds. Employees 400 to 500.
From Williams, Sheila, The History of Knitting Pin Guages
1851 John Morgan took over firm upon death of William Hall. His sons, John Moran and George Chambers Morgan (named for George Chambers, a relative) eventually ran the company until 1918.
1930 Milward’s and William Hall’s merged under Amalgamated Needles and Fish Hooks Limited
1932 a separate manufacturing organisation called The English Needle and Fishing Tackle Co. Ltd (ENTACO) was formed by Amalgamated Needles and Fish Hooks Limited
1973 Needle Industries purchased by Coats Patons Ltd, now known as Coats PLC
1990s Coats sold Needle Industries to its management. Coats retained the Milwards brand name for its own use.
Hall Co. aborbed over 20 other needle-making companies by the early 20th century.
From Grace’s Guide British Industrial History – 1929 British Industries Fair
William Hall and Co Ltd of Studley, Warwickshire. London Office: Empire House, St. Martins le Grand, EC1. Telephone: City 5783. Cables: “Emphouse, London”
- 1929 Listed Exhibitor. Manufacturers of Needles, Needle Cases, Toilet Pins, Reed Hooks, Fish Hooks, etc.